Wedding rings are a timeless symbol of commitment and love, but they have changed and evolved from the original concept. Did you know that wearing a wedding ring on the fourth finger can be traced back to the ancient Egyptians and that the rings were originally made of hemp? The Egyptians believed the “vein of love”, or the “vena amoris”, was a vein that ran from the top of the fourth finger all the way to the heart and because of this wedding rings were always worn on the fourth finger. In fact, it wasn’t until the 1300s that wedding bands for grooms became popular and from this, the “dual ring ceremony” was born. Wedding rings have come a LONG way since they and we are blessed with endless options when it comes to the modern styles and the custom designs of today! While there are so many options to choose from, one consistently popular idea when it comes to modern engagements is a wedding set.
What is a wedding set?
A wedding set, also sometimes called a bridal set, is an engagement ring sold with a matching wedding band. A wedding set is completely customizable and has all the same options to personalize your choice as an engagement ring itself, but also comes with the added benefit of fitting together perfectly in both design and visual appeal! If you have decided to go with a wedding set for your loved one but want something unique that really captures their personality and your love, then read on for some creative ways to make their wedding set truly their own.
Unique Ideas for Wedding Sets
1. Alternative Gemstones – While we may be partial to traditional diamonds, non-diamond center stones have been growing in popularity. Whether you use a colorful gemstone as a center stone or smaller gemstones as accents, it is a trendy way to add something special to your traditional wedding set that is unique, bold, and different. Popular choices include sapphires, emeralds, and rubies. With the sapphire alone you can choose from peach, blue or white sapphires for a more traditional bridal feel. The combinations are endless when you incorporate gemstones into your engagement ring or band to create a coordinated set.
2. Non-Traditional Diamonds – If you can’t let go of that oh-so-timeless diamond allure but want to add a pop of color, then you might want to consider a colored diamond. These unique diamonds come in all different colors and are as versatile as your traditional diamond when it comes to cut and size. Colored diamonds have a unique intensity and distribution when it comes to their striking color and always make an interesting conversation piece.
3. Classics with a Twist – While a solitaire is an all-time classic which never gets old, pairing it with some uniquely designed bands is a striking way to update this classic. By adding twists, curves, open shanks, or unique eye-catching symmetry you can update this look to create a wedding set that ensures that the band you choose nests perfectly against the solitaire and stands out.
4. Eternity Rings – Instead of a simple metal band, an eternity ring is a great way to add a little more style to your wedding set. An eternity wedding band traditionally is a band that has delicate diamonds (or other stones) around the entire band. This symbolizes everlasting love and can add even more symbolic meaning to your wedding set. If you are incorporating alternative gemstones into your engagement ring, this is also an excellent way to incorporate them into your wedding band as well!
5. Vintage Designs or Family Heirlooms – Passing down a treasured family heirloom to your future bride-to-be is a lovely gesture towards including her as part of your family! A great way to do so while still giving her something that is unique to your loved one is to create a new wedding set with a vintage feel. Working with a jeweler to incorporate the heirloom with an additional matching band is a special way to honor tradition and the uniqueness of your bride to be. Whether you choose to use the diamond or stone itself or use the existing metal to create a new band there are many ways to make the heirloom your own!
6. Double-Bands – While a traditional engagement ring from a wedding set uses a stone held in one band, a popular new look is a double-banded ring. These unique engagement ring designs hold a large center stone in between two bands giving them a “floating” effect. This is then paired with a wedding band of your choosing to complete the set.
7. Varying Widths & Stacking – Over time, trends have begun to shift away from the classic solitaire or halo-style engagement rings. Couples looking for something different than the traditional style might want to consider varying widths or stacks. A thick engagement ring, coupled with a very thin delicate wedding band is an ultra-modern twist with a unique look. Looking to incorporate stacking? Depending on the style you are going for you may want to consider stacking more than your traditional two rings to create a truly unique look for your wedding set.
8. Adding a Ring for Yourself – Traditionally a wedding set includes an engagement ring and a wedding band, but if you are taking the extra step of adding some unique touches to your wedding set why not extend that creativity into a wedding band that incorporates some of those unique elements into your wedding band. Incorporating elements across the whole set adds an extra element of unity and is symbolic of the union between you both.
If you would like to learn more about any of the ways to make your wedding set truly unique, we invite you to give us a call to come down to our showroom. We make it our priority to make sure our customers find exactly what they are looking for because we know how important such a big step is. We are here to walk you through every stop of the process and answer all your questions along the way. We look forward to helping you find the wedding set of your dreams!